About

Menheniot (Cornish: Mahunyes) is a civil parish and village in Cornwall.  The meaning of the name is “sanctuary of Neot”.  The village has a primary school, a pub, a shop and a post office.

The village of Menheniot, lies about two miles south-east of Liskeard, close to the A38 and main railway line to the west of Cornwall. It is bounded on the north by St Cleer and St Ive, on the east by Quethiock and St Germans, on the south and west by Morval and Liskeard.

This largely agricultural area has good, fertile soil. The area is also renowned for the quality of its slate.

Lead was discovered in Menheniot parish in the 1840′s, the mining boom that followed saw the population double in a very short period of time.

The enormous social consequences for the village were matched only by the dramatic physical change, with massive engine houses soon dominating the skyline. By the 1870s the boom had collapsed. The miners moved away causing the village to revert to the agricultural life that we see today.

Menheniot had a population of 1,605 in the 2001 census.