Skip to content

Menheniot Parish Council

Information for Residents

I want to comment on a planning application

If you are affected by any of the applications in the parish, you can comment directly to Cornwall Council and their Planning & Enterprise Service.

I want to talk to my councillor about a planning application

If you want to speak to your Parish Councillor about a planning matter (this could be about an application or something that has gone wrong), you can contact them by speaking to the parish clerk. You can phone him on 01579-342437 or by emailing.

If you prefer, you can speak to your Cornwall Councillor.

Can I make comments to Menheniot Parish Council?

Yes. You can do this by attending the public meeting. We always publish an agenda showing what will be discussed at our meetings. The agenda is posted on the noticeboards in Menheniot, Merrymeet, Pengover Green, Island Shop, Lower Clicker and Doddycross three days before the meeting takes place.

If you cannot attend the public meeting, phone the Clerk with any comments you have or email him beforehand. Anything you want to say will be heard by the councillors before they make their decision.

What can the Parish Council do?

The final decision on any planning matter is made by Cornwall Council, and not the Parish Council. The Parish Council must always be consulted by Cornwall Council, and it must agree an opinion at its public meeting. When it does, the Parish Council has to follow strict and legal rules about what matters when giving that opinion. It can only consider the effect that the planning proposal will have on the surrounding area and the people who live there.

What is the Parish Council unable to do?

It cannot take any account of what other people might think about the applicant. So if you are having a dispute with them or you think they have a bad reputation for something that has affected you, the councillors cannot use that information when making their decision. In the same way, councillors cannot refuse an application if you think the development will affect your property price or interfere with a view you have.

If something like this is affecting you, contact the planning officer at Cornwall Council who is handling the application and talk with them. If you need to know who the officer is, contact the parish clerk.

How do I get to know about planning applications in Menheniot?

You can have a list of new planning applications sent to you every week. Visit the Planning Portal of Cornwall Council and sign up for their Weekly Planning Report. It’s sent out on Thursday morning and lists every planning application made in the previous seven days.

The Parish Council also produces a weekly summary of applications and decisions.